Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Lego Birthday Party

This years theme for Taylor's birthday, was a "no brainer". He has been obsessed with legos and so I knew he would love it! I couldn't wait to get stardet with the planning.
I knew for sure I wanted to bake him a lego cake. After a bit of reseach online, ok who am I fooling, hours of reseach, I got a few more ideas to really make this day special and pull the theme together.


Here is one of them.
 I found a similar card on Etsy. But instead of buying it, I decided to make my own. I also made several other copies so I could used those to decorate as well.


I was pretty happy with the result!

Another excited find was lego scrapbook paper.



This banner was super easy and fun to make.



And while I was "playing" with some of the lego's, I came up with this:
Just attach two lego's to a ribbon and "voila", you got a nice lego garland.






To decorate the cups, I cut out more lego's and glued them onto the paper cups. Oh ya, and for confetti I just sprinkelt mini lego's all over the table.
Usuelly I am not  big fan of plastic tablecloths, but in this case I chose a bright yellow one. And it was perfect! ;)


Since I wasn't sure how well my lego cake would turn out, I knew I wanted bake cupcakes. 
Here is my version of cupcake decoraters.



Another easy way of decorating for a Lego party, is to fill up vases and glasses with Legos.



Our school board had a special massage for Taylor. ;)



And here we have the birthday boy infront of the gift table.


A closer look at the some of his gift's, wich I used to decorate as well.

Lego crayons ordert from Etsy.

Another Etsy find were these lego soaps.



Lego key chain in Taylor's favorite color.

Cupcakes with homemade vanilla frosting! Cute and Yummy!






NINE!!!!




Sweet Lilly ready to dig in! (note, this darling handmade doll dress was a Christmas gift from Auntie Geneva! Amazing! ;)


Now to the lego cake!
This sure was one project. I have never made a fondant cake, so I was a bit nerves. After coloring the fondant myself, (I used more then 2oz of dye!) I rolled it out, (at least 3x!) and tryed to lay it onto a chocolate cake I made. That was easier sayed then done, since the fondant was pretty heavy and did not lay flat on the cake. It eventuelly made the cake fall appard! :(    Ugh!

So plan B came in place. I made two batches of Rice Krispie Treats and firmly pressed it into a rectangular greased baking form. And after 30 minutes in the fridge it was ready. SO easy!




After spreading vanilla frosting all over it, I placed the fondant over it and smoothend it out!


It sure was FAR from perfect, but it made an impression on Taylor. He LOVED it! ;)


I wrote "lego" with eatable red marker on it!



Oh, btw this is what Preston looks like evry time I point my camera at him! So cute!

Oh my, look at that face an those theeth! {love}


Back to the cake! 
It was definitely worth all those hours of work, then at the end of the party the cake was almost gone. {grin}


Ok, now to some pictures of Taylor in action opening his presents.
LEGO'S!!!
Happy Dance

Me happy, because my boy is happy! ;)




Lego t-shirt



"Taylor Top Builder"

Lego Playstation game




Hugs!



Kisses!
It really was ALL about lego's!
LET THE BUILDING BEGINN......!

2 comments:

  1. fun! Birthday greetings to taylor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was fuer coole Ideen! Super Aufnahmen um alles rueberzubrigen.... Das war WIRKLICH ein Lego Geburtstag! :-) Ich liebe das T-Shirt von Taylor...woher habt Ihr das denn?
    Danke fuers Teil der ganzen Bilder!
    Oh,BTW: Love the doll dress from Lilly -haha

    ReplyDelete